Old Government House is Australia's oldest publicly-owned building. The original was built for Arthur Phillip in 1790. While it was being built, Governor Phillip lived with Henry Dodd, the farmer who planted the first crops in Parramatta. (Henry died in 1792 and is buried in St Johns Cemetery, in the oldest remaining marked grave in Australia). Phillip's building collapsed and in 1799 Governor Hunter replaced it with the Georgian structure present today. Governor Macquarie added significantly to it, to complete in 1818 the buildings that are seen today.
Area: Parramatta Park
Copyright © 2005 Martin Olmos - Legal