Why Cycle?The benefits of cycling are well known. These are:
- Pollution-free (noise and air);
- Requires a fraction of the road and parking space needed for cars;
- Low cost, making it an equitable mode of transport;
- Improves health and fitness;
- Can be combined with public transport, thus vastly expanding the system’s reach;
- Can be enjoyed by people of different ages and fitness levels;
- Can replace many car trips, reducing traffic congestion (one of the biggest causes of pollution).
What we need
A lot needs to be done before cycling is a real alternative transport mode. (See our wishlist page for more ideas).
- Integrate cycling in policy planning;
- Provide facilities that encourage cycling;
- Improve safety for cycling;
- Educate the public on the advangates of cycling.
What you can do
Join us in providing Western Sydney with better cycling facilities. We make advocacy easy for you, so together we can make a change.
- Go for a ride! This is the best form of advocacy, a way to psychologically reclaim our streets. See our article on riding to work, and find out about our organised rides;
- Join our free e-newsletter, and tell people about us. We will keep you informed.
- Use our ‘Action Corner’ (see below).
- See our advocacy resources for helpful tools.
- Write letters to your MP, Transport ministers, and the RTA;
- Ask your boss to provide bike facilities (showers, lockers), and start riding to work;
- Join Bicycle NSW, CAMWEST, and other BUGs;
- Educate yourself about the relevant issues. (See our links).
CAMWEST Action Corner
We've found many people would like to do something about our poor cycling facilities, but don't know where to start. We have therefore started our 'Action Corner', a section in our newsletter where we include one or two suggestions of something simple and concrete that you can do: write an email, letter, representation, turn up for a ride, etc. Look out for it and commit yourself to write one email every two months (it's easy!).[an error occurred while processing this directive]